Saturday, February 13, 2016

Book Review: The Life-changing Magic Of Tidying Up - The Japanese Art Of Decluttering And Organizing

I'm a very tidy person (note, tidy is not the same as clean, as is evident by my ability to exist surrounded by growing mounds of cat hair). And, over the years, I've become less of a hoarder. So I didn't buy this book for me, I bought this book for my mom who is constantly buying stuff and clothes and more stuff. But I figured I might as well read it before giving it to her...

The Life-changing Magic Of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art Of Decluttering And Organizing
By Marie Kondo
2014
224 pages

Remember the hype? This book had hundreds of holds on it at the public library. Apparently this book is life changing! Um, well maybe not really. It is interesting though, and I did learn a few things:

- Declutter in this order: clothes, books, papers, miscellaneous, sentimental objects.
- Don't declutter by location, declutter by type (so all clothes, regardless of what room they are stored in, not by room).

And that's really it. But the author is very sweet and uses lots of examples and drops neat insights into Japanese culture.

I'd recommend this book to anyone who needs some extra motivation to purge their house of useless crap. Twenty bucks says my mom puts it on a pike and never reads a word.

No comments:

Post a Comment